As the country continues to fight the battle against COVID-19, testing remains critical — especially since there is still no vaccine. It is crucial, of course, to help treat, hospitalize, and isolate COVID-19 infected individuals. Additionally, it plays an extreme role in mitigation efforts — assisting officials in characterizing the disease’s prevalence, spread, and contagiousness. Even the World Health Organization states that testing should be the backbone of the global response to the virus. Being one of the leading Las Pinas hospitals in Southern Metro Manila, the Perpetual Help Medical Center would like to announce that our COVID-19 RT-PCR Test in the Philippines is now available.
Below, you can find a handy guide and overview of everything you need to know about the RT-PCR test as well as how you can get tested.
What Is The COVID-19 RT-PCR Test and How Does It Work?
The COVID-19 RT-PCR test or the real-time reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction test, was initially used to detect targeted genetic materials. However, it was found to be effective in detecting the presence of specific viruses.
Here, your sample is collected through a throat or nasal swab. Your sample will then be treated with several chemical solutions that remove proteins and fats that extract the data that can read and determine the actual presence of COVID-19. These can tell if you are currently infected or not.
What Are The Differences Between The RT-PCR Test From All the Other COVID-19 Tests?
As there are now a few different testing methods for COVID-19, you might be wondering about their differences. Other testing methods such as rapid antibody and antigen tests yield fast results with a turnaround time of 30 to 45 minutes. However, these can only detect the present antibodies and antigens that the bodies produce in response to an infectious agent such as viruses, and not COVID-19 itself. Meaning, there is still a high chance of false-positive results.
The COVID-19 RT-PCR test targets a specific segment of the virus’ genetic material to detect the presence of COVID-19 in a person. In fact, it is said to be one of the most effective and efficient laboratory techniques for detecting, tracking, and examining the COVID-19 virus to this day. It is recognized as the “gold standard” testing with an accuracy rate of 97% or higher. This test has a processing time of approximately 72 hours. When it comes to accuracy and precision — the main goal of COVID-19 testing — the RT-PCR test is still the best way to go.
All About The Covid-19 RT-PCR Test At PHMC
The Perpetual Help Medical Center – Las Piñas, one of the best-equipped Level 3 medical centers in the South of Metro Manila, now offers the RT-PCR Test. This will be performed and interpreted by all our top-notch healthcare professionals while following the most globally-accepted safety protocols.
Be assured that you will be tested with the highest medical and healthcare standards. For extra safety and convenience, your test will also be sent through your email. We offer this at the most valuable price of 3,500 pesos for outpatients. View the mechanics and the step-by-step process below:
How Can You Get Tested for a COVID-19 RT-PCR Test at PHMC?
- Step 1: Send us an email at email@example.com with your name and contact number with the subject “Request for RT-PCR Schedule”. Or go to www.phmc.com.ph, click the RT-PCR Test Downloadable Forms.
- Step 2: Fill out the forms—Case Investigation Form and PHMC SARS-COV-2 Request Form—and send them via the email provided above.
- Step 3: Wait for our scheduling team to get back to you with the guidelines and payment details.
- Step 4: Payment should be made prior to scheduling. We highly encourage bank deposits and bank transfers.
- Step 5: Once your payment is received and confirmed, you will then be scheduled for your chosen time and date. (Note that the schedule will only be confirmed once payment is validated)
- Step 6: Our team will send a confirmation email along with the RT-PCR Test schedule.
- Step 7: Our team will process the registration with our Outpatient Department Registry.
- Step 8: Take your RT-PCR Test at your scheduled appointment.
- Step 9: The results will be available after 72 hours and will be sent to the email address which you provided.
Other Things To Note
As stated above, we adhere to strict protocols and standards for everyone’s safety. Here are some of the mechanics and things you should note before the RT-PCR Test:
- We do not allow walk-ins. An appointment must be made before proceeding with the RT-PCR Test.
- One must provide a doctor’s request before taking the RT-PCR Test.
- If the patient opts to use his/her HMO card, he/she should secure a Letter of Authorization (LOA) from his/her HMO.
- Promo prices do not apply with other discounts such as Senior Citizen and PWD.
- On-site and volume testing is also available upon request.
Among the other testing methods for COVID-19, The RT-PCR tests remain to be the gold standard in determining the patient’s actual status from the virus. The Perpetual Help Medical Center – Las Piñas is happy to announce that our COVID-19 RT-PCR Test in the Philippines is now available! The RT-PCR Test Drive-Through Service will also be available soon! We have also optimized our methods for your utmost safety and convenience. Get tested now by clicking here.